11 February 2008

 

Road trip to Dover

Saturday was one of those days in England that you couldn't pass up spending the day outside. The weather was absolutely perfect...not a cloud in the sky and probably in the mid 50s or so. There are still so many places that I haven't been to over here, and when Dovie and I realized that we were both free during the day, we thought it called for a road trip! Dovie rented a little blue Mini Cooper and we set off on the motorways of England to the coast of Kent to the city of Dover, well known for its White Cliffs and Dover Castle.

We spent the first part of our time in Dover touring the castle. Under the castle lies secret wartime tunnels. The tunnels housed the command post for the British army, navy, and air force during World War II and also had an underground hospital. The tour was quite amusing and very interesting!

After enjoying the tour and the beautiful grounds of the castle, we drove up the coast about 5 miles to a sleepy town called St. Margaret's at the Cliffs. The town was VERY small, but we stumbled upon an old church that had been converted into a little tea house run by two teenage girls. We stopped in for afternoon tea and scones....I can't describe how good those scones were and how very English Dovie and I felt mixing with the locals over tea.

After relaxing over tea, we headed to a spot on the coast where we could take in the white cliffs, the ocean, and the sunset over the city....it was perfect. Of course I have pictures...hope you enjoy!

http://www1.snapfish.com/thumbnailshare/AlbumID=184478492/a=7108003_7108003/t_=7108003

Comments:
Love the writeup and the pictures. I bet this was a trip y'all will never forget.
Moms
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?