19 June 2007
Real Mexican Food
Usually on my trips home, my first stop is my favorite tex-mex restaurant. This time knowing that I was going to Mexico for the week I held off eating anything of the Mexican variety and boy am I glad that I did.
I am about to make a statement that most of my friends in Houston will not believe I am saying, but here it goes: I had the BEST fajitas EVER today for lunch. Yes, they are better than Lupe Tortillas (which is for those not familiar with Houston a tex-mex restaurant that definitely has the best fajitas in town which are soaked in lime juice for 24 hours and cooked to perfection!)
This is a picture of the fajitas at lunch today...it was beef cooked with roasted garlic (HUGE chunks of it by the way) and red chilies. The way they were supposed to be eaten was on a corn tortilla with a little cheese. After having a few of those, I was told by the locals that the next step was just to eat a few pieces of beef with a few drops of lime squeezed on top. After that phase, you were then to use a corn tortilla and soak up the juices and grabbing the few bits of garlic and chilies left in the skillet. The entire process was perfect to truly appreciate the meal. This meal will never be forgotten!
Dovie, this picture is for you....consider your request complete!
Here are a few other random pictures that I have taken. It is very smoggy here which makes the pictures a bit blurry, but I had NO idea that Monterrey was surrounded by mountains. I will try and capture more clear pictures as the week goes on.
http://www1.snapfish.com/thumbnailshare/AlbumID=158965997/a=7108003_7108003/t_=7108003