12 February 2007
Six Weird Things about Me!
Dovie informed me last week that I have been tagged with writing six weird things about me....I thought this was going to be hard, but once I started thinking about it, it was pretty scary how fast things came to me! Hope you enjoy!
The Rules: “Each person who gets tagged needs to write a blog post telling 6 weird things about himself [or herself but not ‘themselves’, as that would imply plurality of personality, and that is odder than any 6 things I might think up] … as well as clearly state the rules. After you state your 6 weird things, you need to choose 6 people to be tagged and list their names. Don’t forget to leave a comment that says ‘you’re tagged’ in their comments and tell them to read your blog for information as to what it means.”
1. BALLOONS. I have a balloon phobia. And crazy enough, I am not alone in the world on this one. Here is a brief description:
Known by a number of names - Globophobia, Fear of Balloons being the most common - the problem often significantly impacts the quality of life. Defined as "a persistent, abnormal, and unwarranted fear of balloons", each year this surprisingly common phobia causes countless people needless distress. Like all fears and phobias, balloon phobia is created by the unconscious mind as a protective mechanism. At some point in your past, there was likely an event linking balloons and emotional trauma. Whilst the original catalyst may have been a real-life scare of some kind, the condition can also be triggered by myriad, benign events like movies, TV, or perhaps seeing someone else experience trauma.
There is proper treatment for this phobia; however, I don't think I have it to the extreme. I just avoid balloons at all circumstances and get REALLY mad at family and friends who think it would be funny to have balloons around me.
2. LOUD NOISES.....or the anticipation of loud noises I should say. Things that fit in this category and therefore I don't enjoy are: fireworks, balloons, loud movies (especially action movies with lots of gun fire in cinemas where I can't adjust the volume), pyrotechnics at concerts, and cars backfiring (I am sure there are more, but these come to mind first).
3. EATING MEAT OFF BONES. It isn't just Dovie that doesn't eat meat off bones. I not only don't eat chicken off bones, but I don't eat meat period off bones, including ribs or any steak other than a filet. This is one quirk about me that I thought I would never share with anyone else. Maybe that is why we became such good friends so fast....to find someone who completely understands how gnawing off a bone is a bit animal-like!
4. OCD. I am not just a little OCD, I really suffer from this. My theory is that everything I own has a home and it will only live in its home. Nothing has two homes. Once a new thing is purchased and assigned a home, it is forever there. I had a friend in high school that used to move things around in my room when I left and when I would come back I would immediately spot something out of place and put it back. She was amazed!
5. LAST NAME. I am not a fan of my last name (sorry Dad). I suffered many years growing up with a last name that no teacher or friend could pronounce. On the first day of class, the teacher would get to the M's in the alphabet and would say "Heather Mmmm..." and I would have to chime in and say it correctly. This was EVERY class from 1st to 12th grade. This also extended to playing sports. I was a starter on my basketball team for most years I played and the starters were always announced as we ran onto the court...home games were ok because the announcer would ask me, but away games were rough! At graduation, they asked us to phonetically spell our name, and mine is SO bad....here we go...My-dinger....that is it...rough I know!
6. BACON. I like my bacon "still breathing" as I say. My sister Jessica likes hers burnt to a crisp (which is good because we never go for the same piece when I am home, but difficult on my mom wanting to cook it both ways for her daughters). I can't decide if this is a weird quirk of mine or not since I usually don't discuss bacon cooking preferences with my friends, but now you know!
I now tag the following people: John V, Tiffany, Michael, Paige, Eric, and hmmm...I think everyone else I know that has a blog has already been tagged....anyone else out there want my last tag??