28 June 2006

 

Rule Followers

Since being in the UK, one of the things I have noticed the most is that the majority of the population are rule followers. Of course, I have yet to take to the roads and see any part of the UK besides London and I am not referring to rule following on the road because I don't know the rules for the road and just can't imagine trying to drive on the wrong side of the road and from the wrong side of the car (but Dovie is great at this I want to add!)

There are two particular instances where it seems that everyone around me here is following the rules:

1. At the tube stations, it clearly states on the escalator to stand on the right, walk on the left. Now if you are familiar with the comedian Brian Regan, you know his bit on Americans following this rule at airports with the walking escalators and how even with all the signs and sometimes verbal warnings, we just don't get it. But I will attest that they get it here in London. It is just amazing to me to witness the sometimes massive group of people that exit the tube at the same time waiting in line to only stand on the right side of the escalator.

2. At work, we have a rule that you can only walk on the right side of the stairwell in the direction you are going and you must hold the handrail. If you do not have a free hand or if you have a drink that does not have a lid, you have to take the elevator. Yes, we are very safety focused here for sure (safety first is my motto!), but watching every single person in the office adhere to that rule is amazing to me. You have to attend HSE (Health, Safety, and Environment) training when you get here and you are taught how to walk up and down the stairs. Crazy, but it works. I witness it every day. It just baffles me because I am sure that even if they made us attend training like that in the Houston office, no one would actually practice what they learned.

I just had to share with all. It is really amazing to me. I am glad that my nature is to be a rule follower, so I fit right in!


Comments:
This inability to follow rules in America vis-a-vis the rest of the world doesn't surprise you does it? Just a bunch of cowboys, I tell ya!
 
um, clearly i could NEVER live in london! rules shmules! i would certainly either get arrested or tick people off on a daily basis.
- the rule breaker
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?